Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ferris Bueller's Doomsday Off

The Introversion guys are at it again.

Check out the vids for their new game DEFCON.

The cool Global Thermonuclear War game from Wargames is finally a reality. And it only took 23 years.



In case you haven't heard me rant and rave about these guys yet, here it comes again. Introversion is the last of the basement game programmers. Their product is pure, untarnished gaming fun. No publisher-tweaked elements to fit a demographic. No flashy graphics. The beauty is in the simplicity of their projects. Their stuff is uncluttered and elegant, like pixelated haiku.

Play Uplink, and immerse yourself in paranoia as you crack corporate networks while your connection is traced.

Play Darwinia, and feel that spooky sense of loss as a group of AI constructs hold a funeral for a fallen brother.

And now, witness Mutually Assured Destruction in the sterile glow of a vector-traced display.

I'm optimistic. I trust these guys. I'm a very picky consumer, and my consumer-sense is tingling.

The only way to win is not to play, but I wanna play anyway.

No comments: