Thursday, July 07, 2005

Stranger and stranger

I'm not going to pretend to have any kind of understanding of how things are in Great Britain right now. I'm trying to be empathetic. I can only offer condolences to those who lost loved ones and those who are in pain. The world is full of evil people. Should we go get them? Absolutely. There's nothing more I can say about it. Britain is tough (tougher than the US, I daresay), and I have no doubt they'll hang in there.

Very strange, since I just read V for Vendetta a couple days ago. A mere coincidence, if you believe in that sort of thing. There's no question, V for Vendetta presents a worst-case scenario of knee-jerk reactionism to disaster. But it's not a terrible stretch of imagination to picture a jump to fascism after the series of attacks there.

We're already well on our way here in the States. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a babbling Michael Moore supporter, I'm not waving the flag while screaming for Bush to leave office. But we're getting locked down here in the US. There aren't marches in the streets, or armbands, or book burnings.

But you can't deny the presence of racial profiling. Gitmo looks like a concentration camp. In a few months I'll be carrying a national ID card.

I didn't plan on talking about this when I got up this morning.

Go get a copy of the V for Vendetta trade paperback by Alan Moore and David Lloyd, for the love of Mike. Hit Amazon or eBay or some other publicly traded dot-com survivor.

Today of all days, read V for Vendetta.

England Prevails.

1 comment:

Digital Joey said...

I was flipping through channels last night and saw that ABC was supposed to be running 'Reign of Fire,' the Christian Bale vs. CGI Dragons movie. ABC'd replaced 'Reign of Fire' with a kid's movie with Malcolm from 'Malcolm in the Middle.'

If we stop running dragon movies on broadcast television, the dragons win.

My second thought about media (aside from the awful awful coverage by the States and the solid journalism of the BBC World and BBC Tonight) was about 'V for Vendetta.' It's one of those Moore stories that's been omni-present since the 80's, yet I've never read it.

Now is a good time to order.