Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Forgot...

Man, last trip to the comic store was slim pickin's. Guess all the good comics were on Christmas vacation, too.

Got Y: The Last Man issue twenty-something. It was better than usual. I'm still falling out of love with the book, but this was a definite improvement. Pregnancy, crazy nuns, Yorick's sister dressed like a gay cowboy. Gay cowboys are the new ninjas/pirates, I guess, even if Warren
Ellis says Vikings are. Next issue: Ampersand is recognized as the newest incarnation of the Buddha, and Yorick discovers he never really liked women at all. The title becomes Y: The Last Gay Cowboy. In a world full of women, all that's left is a guy who's not interested. Oooh, irony. I swear, I started out really liking this book. Now I just want it to recover that former glory.

Err, DMZ #2. It was above average. Sniper love was an interesting concept. The child hospital scene was a bit too much. Depicting children in pain seems a little cheap to me. It's too easy a tool for evoking sympathy, too cut and dried. Am I uncomfortable with the idea of child injuries in a war zone? Absolutely. But we get enough of it on the news, I'm not looking for it in my fiction. Maybe I'd feel differently if I knew that Brian Wood had spent a few months in a war zone, and was speaking from experience. Right now, it's like a bit like talking to a grad student who's living in his mom's basement telling me about civil rights violations in China. It's disingenuous. Innocent casualties are bad. Fictional innocent casualties are fictional. 'Nuff said. Other than that the book has potential. It's Transmetropolitan in a war zone, only not nearly as funny.

Walking Dead Script Book. Haven't read it yet, but I'm excited about it. I love reading scripts. I like writing scripts. I'm trying to learn to love writing scripts. Seeing the nuts and bolts from my favorite comics is delicious.

And that's it.

I'm itching for more Desolation Jones, Fell, etc. Maybe next trip.

Excelsior, or whatever.

1 comment:

Digital Joey said...

The craptacular local shop did not get DMZ #2, or Fear Agent #2. Surprisingly, it did get 10 by Keith Giffen and Andy Kuhn from BOOM Studios. I kinda dug it.

I liked the new Y enough and all. The single arc issues are usually pretty fun. The monkey is sorely missed.

Towards the end of the month I think I drive to a town with two comic shops, so I'll make up for the last few months worth of no good comics.