Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Time slows down as you reach the speed of stupid...

APE is this weekend, and I will be there Saturday. Driving down Friday night.

We rented Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Daughter's one-word review: "Cool!" I agree with her. Heavy environmentalism, lots of action, outstanding production design. It's a film you'll wish you could see the concept art for. The plot is iffy, but it's okay. Dubbed voice work by Patrick Stewart, Edward James Olmos, Uma Thurman.

If Miyazaki's environmental epics are like the Star Wars Trilogy, Nausicaa is A New Hope. Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke are Empire and Jedi. No, she hasn't seen Mononoke.

There's shooting in it, more than I expected. It's not ultraviolent, in fact it is very toned down, with very little blood. Daughter has finally associated guns with killing, which I'm not too concerned about. She made a gun out of Duplo blocks and shot me. She called it a "Boom" and told me I died. I agreed with her. We've been cautious about violence around her, and I'm just thrilled she got to age three before she figured it out. She's a very kind and helpful soul. Violence isn't part of her persona, but she digs a good action scene. She's very into drama.

Noob Runner stuff: My legs are falling off. I've almost beaten my college time in the mile and a half run (and I weighed a lot less then). I'm running between 2-3 miles per day. What's good for shin splints? I keep giving myself time to heal, and then they return whenever I push myself. Stretches, treatments, suggestions?

4 comments:

Don said...

Don't run on concrete . . . or asphalt. To heal shin splints (but threaten your ankles) run on grass.

Stretching helps loosen your legs and lower back, but shin splints come from your calves being stronger than your lesser muscles running between the bones in your lower leg.

Wrapping helps, but depending on how your legs are shaped (all different kinds) the wrap may not stay very well.

Dude. Nausica.

Don said...

. . . and make sure you are using running shoes. . . NOT cross trainers.

Enigma-Machinist said...

I was going to start running today. But Rexburg gave us an unexpected cold front and brought in some snow. I stayed in and enjoyed the warmth.

As for Nausica. I didn't know they redid the voices. I saw the old tape way back when and it was called "Warriors of the Wind" in the U.S. then I understand they changed it to "Valley of the Wind" then changed it again once Disney took over and called it by it's intended name, Nausicaa. Anyway, yeah, "Cool" truely fits.

Anonymous said...

Dude. Miyzaki rules and his movies are done well.

Running. One reason I don't do it on hard surfaces is the shock and all to the joints and lower legs.