Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Flickering Screens

I've been thinking about video games lately. Not gaming in general, but the specific games that I carry around in my head with me. There are games that I spent time playing on my Commodore 64 as a child that I still think about.

I've been trying to list the games that have stuck with me, and figure out what makes them "sticky."

Here are the trends I've noticed:
- I like action.
- I like humor.
- I don't like persistence. MMORPGs give me a sick feeling in my stomach.
- I like excellent writing.
- I don't like sampling a large assortment of games. I'm extremely picky. I find a title I'm interested in and dive.
- I love hybrids: FPS/RPG, RTS/RPG, FPS/RTS, etc.
- I'd still rather dig up a good old game than the latest AAA title.
- I expect a great amount of polish from start to finish. One broken element or ill-considered mechanic can be a deal-breaker.
- Squaresoft didn't get a single title on my list.
- Lots of First Person Shooters.
- Very few console games, mostly PC games.

I'm not seeking for Greater Truth about my gaming habits. I've only been thinking about why I'm attracted to some games and not others, and why.

Shrug.

I think I need to find a copy of Herzog Zwei. I miss that game.

No comments: