Friday, March 17, 2006

Comics Rundown: Nextwave #2


So, more Warren Ellis. Doing a superhero book.

I missed issue #1. It flew under my radar. I'll try to find it somewhere. Did I miss anything major?

Nextwave is a team superhero book. It feels like Ellis tearing apart everything he hates about team superhero books.

Fin Fang Foom, the mythical dragon who always looks more awesome when drawn by Art Adams, is destroying a city. He is a UWMD (Unusual Weapon of Mass Destruction).

I think there's some backstory about why Nextwave is fighting Fin Fang Foom, but I missed it. And it doesn't matter.

Warren Ellis, the series writer, is one of the superheroes in Nextwave, except he's called Machine Man. Naturally, he steals the show, because he hates humans, is alcoholic, and has sharp pointy objects inside him.

I rant against superhero books, because I hate them. I feel betrayed by them. I do not feel betrayed by Nextwave. I am reminded of Peter David's X-Factor run when reading it.

The art is serviceable. It's not terrific, but also not distracting. It's Marvel. It's colorful and light.

The writing? There might be a plot in there somewhere. Where Nextwave shines is the dialogue and scene composition. A giant dragon threatens to stuff you in his pants. I don't think that's ever been done before.

Let's not let that happen again.

I'll probably grab this one off the rack, but I don't think I'll add it to my pull list. I not-so-secretly hope the series is cut short, because it feels gimmicky. I can almost imagine the Marvel execs waving the fan of cash under Ellis' nose, cooing "One more superhero book... you won't feel a thing..."

And Ellis is muttering, "Fine, you want your superheroes? Here, deal with some of this madness..."

2 comments:

Digital Joey said...

I do love NextWave. I think you're wrong about the Marvel and money thing, I think Ellis has a lot more control over this one. And he seems to be having a blast. There's actually a NextWave theme song out there.

And Stuart Immommommen on the art is pretty rockin'. He's actually adapting his style a bit, making it more "cartoony." NextWave is the comic New Avengers wants to be but could never ever do. Because Warren Ellis is insane.

"Healing America by Beating People Up." I dig it.

Don said...

The Badger speaks:

One Wednesday he's lambasting superhero books by major publishers. On Friday he dismisses a decent superhero book by a major publisher as a cash grab because it is good. Sir, one of these days you will have to admit some of the superhero books still have teeth.

. . . not that I relinquish my money for their media, I have tuition to pay, Thousands of dollars of it!