Thursday, March 08, 2007

Wondercon 2007: Part 3: Why Aren't You Jeph Loeb?

At this point I hit the Oni table and picked up Scott Pilgrim Volume 1 and Capote in Kansas. I was looking for a trade of Wasteland, but no luck.

Spot my watch and it's almost 2pm. Time to check out the Jeph Loeb panel.

Jumped in line, started going through my con program, circling booths I wanted to hit before leaving. Listened to a couple of guys arguing about Hillary Swank being in the new TMNT movie (she isn't, but they reasoned if she was at the con, she had to be). Then the line started moving. I got pretty good seat, right by the speaker. The con organizers were very sensitive about their speaker volume and placement, and it was just right. I didn't get my eardrums blown out.

Mr. Jeph Loeb arrived alone. Loeb gives off a great "hardworking dad" vibe. I'm not really going to cover the topics he discussed, you can pick up the details at Newsarama or CBR, but I'll write about impressions. I was mostly impressed with Loeb's work ethic, which was apparent in his demeanor when he talked about his work. This is a guy who works full time on Heroes, and writes a handful of monthly comics on the side. He's a robot.

I will bring up one important point that stood out to me when I heard him speak. He was answering a question about the difference between himself and other less prolific writers. He explained that the fans can be very unforgiving with late creators, but that the late creators are even less forgiving of themselves. They fall behind because they want their work to be excellent. He said it was okay to be late, if the book was good. It was okay to be bad, if the book's on time. But if the book is bad and late, you're screwed. He said that in speaking with other writers/artists, the inclination is to say "It's got to be Watchmen."

Loeb's reply is "It's got to be done."

So yeah, I was repeatedly punching myself in the face on the way out of that room. Lesson learned, now working on the application.

It needs to be done. Tattoo that on my forehead.

Great spotlight, I was very glad I attended. Hearing Loeb speak was worth the price of admission alone.

That and hearing him pitch "Hulk: The Strongest There Is." That's going to be cool.

No comments: