Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Superdeedooper Heroes!

Since I haven't blogged in forever, I'm castigating myself with forced television blogging. Like a weathered scourge. Spare the fortieth lash.

I'm pretty big on escapism in its various forms. Any time I hear of a new fanboy movement, however, I cringe and try to hold the material in question at arms length.

Which is why I've avoided NBC's Heroes like the plague, until now.

Flashback, Saturday morning. I was bored. I was supposed to be writing or cleaning. Or rebuilding my PC. Or any number of more important things.

But instead, I wound up heading over to NBC's website and checking out the show. They put all of the episodes from the first season online. So I watched the first one.

And then I watched the rest of them.

It was a television binge I hadn't experienced as badly since I got hooked on 24.

It's not Shakespeare. Lots of people get superpowers and are very confused. But it is engaging and original. It's hard to pull out new surprises when you're feeding a horde of comic book fans that have been "shooting up" the superhero drug for a lifetime.

I liked it. And I like Jeph Loeb.

This from a guy who's gone through superhero rehab.

If you've got a Saturday when you should be doing other things, check it out.

It could definitely be a lot worse.


2 comments:

Don said...

Thanks. I was in the middle of doing my pricing homework and I got completely derailed. Is that Scott Bakula as the politician? Looks like him. Dude, four episodes . . . I have work to do.

Cryptobadger said...

I am always the bad guy.

I think I'm going to turn that statement into an amazing T-shirt.