Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Wormsign.

News: None, really. Everybody's getting sick.

The oranges in California are all dying.

I suspect this man to be the cause:

What else? Last night, I just read a Todd McFarlane interview that was about the most inspiring, motivating piece of work I've ever read, for all the wrong reasons: "I just make up pages, and shuffle them around until I think it looks okay. I don't know anything about writing!" Astounding.

Watched Soylent Green (obviously) and Dune last week.

Soylent Green was awful, but only half as awful as The Omega Man was. The only redeeming quality of the film was the clear evidence that Charleton Heston is one heck of an actor. Even when the material is dross, he dominates every second of every scene. He could have pulled off the Ten Commandments even if he had been wearing a clown suit.

As for Dune, it still holds up very well. I don't know precisely why it got the abuse it did at its release. The acting held up. The special effects were serviceable. The story was challenging and a little swiss-cheesed from the novel, but it was still followable. Paul's the good guy, the Harkonnens are the bad guys, Paul's a freaking arch-diety. Very simple. And the production design was excellent.

Finally: the quantity of quotable lines approaches infinity, or maybe, eight.

"My name is a killing word."

"What's in the box?" "Pain."

"They tried and failed?" "They tried and died."

"The Sleeper has Awakened!"

"Fear is the Mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration."

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

"The spice must flow."

and...

"I WILL KILL YOU!"

(See also: Milking Cats.)

1 comment:

Don said...

"When the spice flow stops, all eyes will turn to Aracus."
"Tell me of your homeworld Ucil."