Thursday, May 04, 2006

CONSUME: Catching Lucifer's Lunch

Just thought I'd mention this. This is the first book put out by T.J. and Jason May. One writes, one draws. The book is illustrated entirely in watercolor.

It feels like a first book, which is okay, because the enthusiasm of these guys comes through, even if it's flawed.

The story is a Lovecraft/Army Of Darkness/Grimm's Fairy Tale hybrid horror story. The plot is very sketchy, and the dialogue is not as punchy as it should be. The movement of the story is more dreamlike than anything. The incongruity in the action plays out like one of my nightmares, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The art is suited for horror, and the watercolors are pretty. I will say that I got lost a couple of times, particularly in the action sequences. Violence allows for no ambiguity in comics. I'd be reading, and realize a character had been stabbed. How did that happen? Oh, in the previous panel, the bad guy kind of looked like he was making stabbing motions. My bad. The visual vocabulary is lacking a little bit.

Like I said, there's a lot of flaws. But I was charmed by the way these guys just decided to make a book, and did it. It's not awful. I hope they do more. And I hope they get better.

No comments: