Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Consume: Nextwave #3

Crooked cops! Distorted cyborg cats that burrow into your chest! Car-Eating robot-guys! Exploding stuff!

So, I added Nextwave to the pull list. Because I was an adolescent boy, in years past. Is it funny? Oh, yes, oh, yes. The plot (plot?) is moderately amusing, but it's the dialogue/one-liners which are hilarious. More Ellis being witty and non-topical.

I'm a little sad though, because this is a humor-action book. And sadly, since it's a humor-action book, I must compare it to the humor-action book yardstick: SCUD: The Disposable Assassin. Nextwave made me chuckle. Scud made me laugh until I passed out, only to wake up with a nosebleed and ringing in my ears, wondering what happened. I know, comparing books is so unfair. But this is just a freaking blog.

It's all so very sad. I miss me some Scud.


I guess I'm not in love with Stuart Immonen like the rest of the world, but maybe that's just because I don't recall reading anything else he's drawn. But Dave McCaig's coloring is bright and shiny. The panel with the Cat-Aberration just seized my eye and ran off with it, optic nerve dangling. It just looked cool.

Is this book going to save comics? No, hell no. The last thing we need is another superhero book. But we can at least wring some funny out of the genre while we beat it to death.

It made it to the pull-pile. What do you want from me?

1 comment:

Digital Joey said...

I just dig the Ellis. I haven't picked up his other Marvel stuff but Nextwave is the stuff.

I miss Rob Schrab drawing. The book was funny, sure, but I really miss the art. Maybe they should shop around Tales from the Vending Machine. I've got a few stories for that (one involves a cat, the other involves the 70's, my least favorite decade).

There's bound to be a few in you. Make it happen.